Monday, April 18, 2011

I'm a Runner!



Let me just start off by saying, I have NEVER been a runner before! I considered myself to be one of the "I'm only running if someone is chasing me with a weapon" kinda people. Really it was mostly... okay completely about the fact that I am a wuss these days. Anyways..a while back I saw (on FB of course) my childhood BFF was doing the KC Trolley Run, the charity benefits the school her son goes to called CCVI. So, I had a fabulous idea!! I called my Aunt B (just B from here on out), and suggested that she (being the awesome runner that she is) run the 4 miles, and I would push Landon in his stroller for the walking part. B said 4 miles was nothing, and how fun woulf it be to do it together..before I knew it she was online and convincing me that the yellow wave (slow joggers) would be perfect! Somehow before I had thought this threw ;) I was in! We were planning away for the upcoming April 17 2011, KC Trolley Run, umm did I mention it's 4 miles long....75th and Wornall to the Plaza basically." In my head" (up until now obviously) this is clearly a distance for driving! 
So, the training began, I ran everyday at first, then switching to every other day after two weeks. I hurt! Clearly I am more than out of shape! Then my right ankle and knee starting revolting or so it felt like. Apparently a sudden jolt into running may have sped up my psoriatic arthritis....booo, dislike, or feel free to insert your unhappy word of choice! Needless to say the running slowed down greatly and the run day grew nearer! 
EEK!!!
Well the day arrived, and my alarm went off at 4:50 am.....yup I', totally serious....and I got up!! We got to the plaza a little after six, took the bus to the starting area, and waited till just before eight to get into place...
We started on time which I'm told is rare, we also started slow because there were so many people in front of us. We finally got going, and the first mile was slow but I almost ran the whole thing!! and actually my pace got better along the way!! I did need to have some walking breaks along the way, but who cares I finished a 4 mile run in 50 minutes and 47 seconds and not once was I wanting for breath!!! I am not only a rock star, I'm a runner!!! And I can't wait to do it again...once my ankle swelling goes down anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment